Applying A Clear Finish
Showcase the natural beauty of your exterior wood by applying a clear finish to your deck. To maintain your wood's natural color with a clear finish, try Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector or Thompson's® WaterSeal® Advanced Natural Wood Protector. These products protect against water damage and have a coating that resists mildew and UV damage.
Our clear multi-surface waterproofers, Thompson's® WaterSeal® Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer or Thompson's® WaterSeal® Advanced Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer, protect against water damage and allow wood to gray naturally.
Follow these general steps when applying a clear finish.
- Read all directions thoroughly.
- New Pressure-Treated Wood: Thompson's® WaterSeal® Advanced waterproofers can be applied immediately to new pressure-treated wood. If using Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector or Thompson's® WaterSeal® Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer, you should wait 30 days.
- Cover any areas you will not be treating.
- Prior to application, clean completely with a Thompson's® WaterSeal® cleaner.
- When using Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector or Thompson's® WaterSeal® Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer, make sure the wood is completely dry before application. When using Thompson's® WaterSeal® Advanced waterproofers, the wood can be damp.
- For best results, apply with a paint pad or brush. If using a garden or pump-up sprayer, you will need to back-brush with a paint pad or brush to even out the finish.
- Only one light coat is necessary in most applications. Do not saturate surfaces, puddle or build wet film.