Cleaning Redwood, Cedar, Mahogany Or Hardwood
Special attention is needed when cleaning a Redwood, Cedar, Mahogany deck or Hardwoods. Hardwoods include mahogany and other highly extractive and resinous woods. Many cleaners can darken these woods, and even brand new Cedar and Redwood contain tannin which may start to gray or blacken within the first year. Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener helps restore wood's natural color and beauty by gently removing tannin bleed/stains and other contaminants. Follow these steps to restoring your deck's natural beauty:
What you will need:
- Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener.
- Long-sleeved shirt, pants, eye protection and rubber gloves.
- Plastic bucket or other non-metal container.
- Applicator - pump-up sprayer, synthetic bristle brush or roller.
- Garden hose or pressure washer.
- Soap and water.
- Read label directions thoroughly before use.
- Add Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener contents to plastic bucket or plastic pump-up sprayer. Do not use a metal container.
- For ease of application, apply Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener with a pump-up sprayer, or use a synthetic bristle brush or roller.
- Apply to no more than 5-10 boards (20 sq. ft.) at a time to maintain adequate surface wetness and to allow best results. Immediately and thoroughly rinse any overspray or accidental spills and water.
- Allow Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener to remain on wood for 10-15 minutes. For best results, lightly scrub surface with a stiff, synthetic bristle brush. Do not let Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener completely dry during application.
- Thoroughly rinse the surface with a garden hose or pressure washer, removing all residue. After rinsing the surface, be sure to saturate the ground around plants and shrubs with fresh water.
- Stubborn stains or missed areas may need to be scrubbed with additional Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener and rinsed again.
- Rinse equipment and brushes thoroughly with soap and water.
Note: Your clean wood will need protection from water damage after cleaning. It is always best to wait 2-3 days, depending on weather conditions, for the wood to dry thoroughly before applying a Thompson's® WaterSeal® oil-based waterproofer or stain. For other products like Thompson's® WaterSeal® Advanced waterproofers, you can apply the waterproofer after only a few hours. Use Thompson's® WaterSeal® waterproofers and stains to protect your wood from the elements and provide the highest level of waterproofing protection available.