Getting Started - Staining Your Deck
- Always be sure to read the label for specific application instructions for that product. For best results, clean surfaces with a Thompson's® WaterSeal® cleaner before staining.
- Solid stains can be applied to all exterior wood surfaces including those previously painted or stained.
- Semi-transparent stains can be applied to untreated wood or wood surfaces previously stained with a lighter shade of semi-transparent stain. They are not recommended on previously painted wood or wood stained with a solid coating.
- Mix thoroughly before application. To ensure consistent color, intermix all cans to be used in the same project.
- Apply by brush, roller or applicator pad. Exterior applicator pads are highly recommended for use on decks.
- Keep the leading edge wet and distribute stain evenly. Use natural breaks (windows, doors, etc.) as boundaries to divide large surfaces into smaller, more manageable areas.
- See label for complete usage information.
* Final colors may vary depending on age, texture, grain, porosity and type of wood used. For a complete color sample brochure, call 1-800-367-6297.