Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener
Cleans all wood types but is specially formulated for redwood, cedar, mahogany and other highly extractive woods. While many cleaners can darken these woods, Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener actually helps restore their natural color and beauty. Deck Cleaner & Brightener also acts as a neutralizing agent after using some cleaners.
- Restores wood's natural color & beauty.
- Removes tannin bleed/stains & rust.
- Removes mill glaze on new wood.
- Removes stains from dirt, mildew, algae and fungus.
- Use before waterproofing on: decks & fences, outdoor furniture, exterior wood.
- Use on redwood, cedar, highly extractive wood, if you need to remove tannin staining and restore lighter color of redwood/cedar/mahogany or other highly extractive wood species in addition to removing stains from dirt, mildew, algae & fungus and/or as instructed, to neutralize any wood species after using other cleaners.
- Approximately 150-250 square feet per gallon depending on the condition and porosity of the wood.
Directions for use
Before you begin
- Use in well-ventilated area and only as directed.
- A trial patch is recommended before starting. Test on an inconspicuous area before applying to entire surface.
- DO NOT MIX WITH ANY OTHER PRODUCTS, especially those containing chlorine or bleach (sodium hypochlorite).
- Avoid spraying on windy days.
- Prior to spraying, close all windows and doors within area in which you are working.
- Remove all deck furniture and decorative items that could come in contact with Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener. Do not allow product to come in contact with painted or finished surfaces that you do not intend to restore.
- Saturate the ground around plants and shrubs with fresh water prior to application. Then cover all plants and shrubs to protect them from overspray. Uncover promptly after use.
- Wear a long-sleeved shirt, pants, eye protection and rubber gloves. Do not allow Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener to come in prolonged contact with clothing, carpet or fabric, as damage may occur.
- Remove any loose dirt and debris from wood. If wood is extremely dry or in direct hot sunlight, wet with water.
- Plan the application: for horizontal surfaces, work backwards so you do not walk on the surface being treated. For vertical surfaces, work from the bottom up. Treat small areas at a time.
- Exercise caution when working on wet surfaces, as they tend to be slippery.
- Add contents of container to a plastic bucket or plastic pump-up sprayer. Do not use a metal container.
- For ease of application, apply Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener with a pump-up sprayer, or use a synthetic bristle brush or roller.
- Apply to no more than 5-10 boards (20 sq. ft.) at a time to maintain adequate surface wetness and allow best results. Immediately and thoroughly rinse any overspray or accidental spills with water.
- Allow Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener to remain on wood for 10-15 minutes. For best results, lightly scrub surface with a stiff, synthetic bristle brush. Do not let Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener completely dry during application.
- Thoroughly rinse the surface with a garden hose or pressure washer, removing all residue. After rinsing the surface, be sure to saturate the ground around plants and shrubs with fresh water.
- Stubborn stains or missed areas may need to be scrubbed with additional Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener and rinsed again.
- Wait 2-3 days, depending on weather conditions, for the wood to dry thoroughly before applying a Thompson's® WaterSeal® waterproofer or stain.
- Rinse equipment and brushes thoroughly with soap and water.