Thompson's® WaterSeal® Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner
Specially designed to remove weathered clear and tinted waterproofers and semi-transparent stains from decks and other exterior wood. It also restores the natural color to severely weathered and discolored wood without bleaching. Unlike many competitive products, Thompson's® WaterSeal® Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner is self-neutralizing, which means you will not need to apply another solution before waterproofing or staining.
- Removes weathered clear & tinted waterproofers and semi-transparent stains.
- Restores wood's natural color & beauty.
- Removes Stains From Dirt, Mildew, Algae and Fungus.
- Use before waterproofing on: decks & fences, outdoor furniture, exterior wood, wood plastic composite decking.
- Use if you need to remove weathered clear & tinted waterproofers or semi-transparent stains in addition to stains from dirt, mildew, algae & fungus.
- Approximately 100-250 square feet per gallon depending on the condition and porosity of the wood.
Directions for use
Before you begin
- This product is corrosive. Handle with care.
- A trial patch is recommended before starting. Test on an inconspicuous area before applying to entire surface.
- Product can be applied to dry or damp wood.
- Avoid spraying on windy days.
- Prior to spraying, close all windows and doors around area in which you are working.
- Remove all deck furniture and decorative items that could come in contact with Thompson's® WaterSeal® Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner. Do not allow product to come in contact with aluminum, painted, or finished surfaces that you do not intend to restore.
- Saturate the ground around plants and shrubs with fresh water prior to application. Then cover all plants and shrubs to protect them from overspray. Uncover promptly after use.
- Wear a long-sleeved shirt, pants, eye protection and rubber gloves. Do not allow Thompson's® WaterSeal® Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner to come in prolonged contact with clothing, carpet or fabric as damage may occur.
- Thompson's® WaterSeal® Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner may slightly darken Redwood. To brighten wood after cleaning with Thompson's® WaterSeal® Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner, use Thompson's® WaterSeal® Deck Cleaner & Brightener.
- Plan the application: for horizontal surfaces, work backwards so that you do not walk on the surface being treated. For vertical surfaces, work from the bottom up. Treat small areas at a time.
- Exercise caution when working on wet surfaces, as they tend to be slippery.
- Add contents of container to a plastic bucket or plastic pump-up sprayer. Do not use a metal container.
- For ease of application, apply Thompson's® WaterSeal® Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner with a pump-up sprayer, or use a synthetic bristle brush or roller. If you are using a pump-up sprayer, use a coarse spray. Do not breathe spray mist. Do not apply to an area larger than you can work on within 10-15 minutes. Immediately and thoroughly rinse any overspray or accidental spills with water.
- Wait 10-15 minutes and then scrub the surface with a synthetic, stiff bristle brush (do not use a wire or natural bristle brush) to remove any stain or finish that does not immediately come up. Do not let Thompson's® WaterSeal® Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner completely dry during application. If it does dry, re-wet surface with a garden hose. Keep the brush wet to help in cleaning.
- If stubborn areas remain, repeat the application in those areas.
- Thoroughly rinse the surface with a garden hose or pressure washer, removing all residue. After rinsing the surface, be sure to saturate the ground around plants and shrubs with fresh water.
- Wait 2-3 days, depending on weather conditions, for the wood to dry thoroughly before applying a Thompson's® WaterSeal® oil-based waterproofer or stain. For other products like Thompson's® WaterSeal® Advanced waterproofers, you can apply the waterproofer after only a few hours.
- Rinse equipment and brushes thoroughly with soap and water.