Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector
For protection that helps enhance and maintain wood's natural color, Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector gives you beautiful protection against damage from water and sun and provides a mildew resistant coating. Its oil-enriched formula provides long-lasting protection for all types of wood.
- Prevents water damage.
- Beads & waterproofs.
- Helps maintain wood's natural color.
- Coating resists mildew growth and UV damage.
- Exceeds industry standard ASTM D-4446 for waterproofing wood.
- Use on: decks & fences, outdoor furniture, exterior wood.
|Material||(approximate coverage sq. ft./gal.)|
|Cedar, Oak, Redwood||300-400|
|All Other Woods (i.e. Pine, Pressure-Treated, Plywood)||200-300|
One Light Coat is Sufficient.
Directions for use
Before you begin
- Allow 30 days before applying on new pressure treated lumber.
- Be sure that both surface and air temperature are above 50° F during application and for 48 hours after application. Do not apply product if rain is forecasted within 24 hours of application.
- Perform the splash test. Sprinkle water on various sections of surface to be sealed. If water absorbs and darkens color of substrate within five seconds, surface is porous and considered ready to be treated. If water beads up or otherwise sits on top of surface, then surface does not need protection at this time.
- Cover plants and shrubs. Move all objects that could come in contact with overspray. Overspray of product onto glass should be removed immediately with paint thinner or mineral spirits.
- Do not use in below grade application where water pressure is a problem or on painted or recently stained surfaces.
- DO NOT USE AS AN ADDITIVE TO PAINT.
- Excessive oiliness caused by over application may be removed by scrubbing wood with concentrated degreaser.
- Surfaces and substrates must be free of all stains from mildew, dust, dirt, oil, soot, grease and other contaminants.
- Surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned prior to application with a Thompson's® WaterSeal® cleaner applied according to label directions and cautions.
- If surface is damp or wet from cleaning or weather, allow the surface to dry thoroughly (a minimum of 48 hours) before application.
- Do not mix with other waterproofing products; variations in the final appearance of the surface being treated may result.
- Do not thin.
- A small trial patch should be tried before application over the entire surface.
- Only one light coat is necessary in most applications.
- Apply by brush, roller, dipping, or sprayer. A garden "pump-up" style sprayer is the simplest method. Regardless of which application method used, remove puddles within 15 minutes by redistributing to dry areas or wiping off.
- Use only with adequate ventilation.
- Oiliness and tackiness will result if over-applied or applied to wet or damp surface, or if overnight temperature falls below 50° F within 48 hours of application.
- Allow at least 48 hours to dry; however, drying time will vary depending on the substrate, temperature and humidity.
- Allow a minimum of 30 days drying time before applying oil based paint over Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector. Do not apply latex based paint over Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector.
- Length of protection will vary depending on environment. Perform the splash test once a year to see whether re-application is necessary. For maximum protection from color change and other damage caused by the sun, re-application is recommended every year. Vertical and horizontal surfaces will experience color changes at different rates.
- Clean brushes and equipment with mineral spirits, then rinse with clean water.